Saturday, November 08, 2008

Petra




Five minute quick sketches, and longer studies of twenty-five and forty-five minutes a piece. I'm trying to be more bold with my mark-making; sometimes a daring stroke, even if inaccurate, can appear right to the viewer based on how well it conveys confidence. Even though I see mistakes here and there, it felt good to move through my drawings at an accelerated pace, achieved by placing marks in quick succession.

3 comments:

Brian Tong TAK said...

Hey Sherwin~! This is Brian from Kirk's and Ed's class~! Great stuff you have in your blog. You got some great head drawings. What classes do you recommend to take for head drawings like 5 minutes head sketch/ head lay-in.. What head drawing classes had u taken~ I want to do more head drawings cause my head drawing sucks hahah~

Sherwin Abesamis said...

Hi Brian!

Thanks for visiting and for the kind comments.

As far as classes for learning how to draw the head quickly and authoritatively go, the most helpful one for me was Deni Wohlgemuth's Heads and Hands class over at Art Center at Night. He breaks down the structure of heads and hands each week and covers how to depict the head both tonally and structurally, even going over the muscles that form the expressions on our faces. It's a little pricey, so apply for a scholarship if you can, but even if you have to pay for the class like I did, it's worth it. Deni is a very passionate teacher and has a wealth of knowledge to give.

My schedule always seems to conflict with this course, but Nathan Fowkes' Head Drawing class over at LAAFA also looks like a winner. He teaches a modified version of the Frank Reilly system (which I like) and places a strong emphasis on clear reads via big statements.

If any of this is unclear to you, I can explain more in class. Good luck!

Brian Tong TAK said...

Thanks Sherwin~! I was thinking of taking that class in the upcoming future. Now since you said that I am looking forward to take that. Thanks man. I will definitely ask you more about these stuff during class. Keep up the good work~! Hope you enjoyed Stephan's workshop!