Monday, November 17, 2008

After J.C. Leyendecker


Three hour master copy after a detail of J.C. Leyendecker's Vacation. I've been struggling with indicating features and volumes efficiently and effectively, so I've decided to copy works from the masters to get a better sense of how to solve these problems. Duplicating other artists' works is the next best thing to drawing from life, because you can absorb their solutions to similar drawing conundrums, thereby adding their strategies to your repertoire.

2 comments:

Ang said...

Sweet,
J.C. Leyendecker is awesome. Do you have his new book? If you dont let me know - I know a cheap place to get it! Free shipping too! I love his stuff... Anyways, keep it up!

Sherwin Abesamis said...

Yeah! Leyendecker is my favorite of the Golden Age Illustrators.

And d'oh! I already bought the book. But pass along the info to me in class anyway; I can probably find someone who can put that bargain offer to good use.