Friday, September 05, 2008

Alma


Three-and-a-half hours. On Wednesday, I had one of those rough nights that make you question whether or not you really know what the hell you're doing. I'm pretty embarassed about the progress (or rather lack thereof) I made during week six of my long pose portrait painting class, so I'm a bit reluctant to post the results of that session. However, I did find a silver lining out of such a frustrating experience. I learned a better process to apply towards my paintings done at workshops. That is, after I establish the initial lay-in, I mix as many colors that I can see on the model on my palette before I apply even a single stroke of paint on the canvas. Forcing myself to pre-mix helps to organize and streamline the act of completing a painting and as a result it ends up being a much less stressful and more efficient use of my time.

Looking at my painting of Alma, I can see some of the lessons I learned from doing my Chen Shu-fen study also found their way in. It's pretty cool to see how different approaches and experiments in one medium can help you refine your skills in another.

No comments: